Friday, August 19, 2011

Road To London - The Hard Way

I am now in the midst of my final preparation for my biggest challenge to date - to cycle to London for the 2012 Olympics. Yes, while I failed to get to Beijing in 2008 I hope I can make it this time around though the distance is about twice as long. To give you a clearer picture, the distance is anything between 17,000km to 20,000km, through the northern half of peninsula Malaysia, northwards through Thailand, Laos and then Kunming in China. From Kunming, I hope to find a way to Dhaka in Bangladesh. ( It would be shorter to go through Myanmar but overland travel is not allowed there except by public transport).Next, Kolkata , then westward through India passing by Varanasi, Agra and Delhi on highway 1, then on highway 2 to Atari and across the border to Lahore in Pakistan, followed by Iran, Greece, Turkey, countries of the former Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany, France/Holland and finally London. I intend to start the journey on the 24nd or the 25th Of September and InsyaAllah all will be fine.

While cycling (the bicycle is the most efficient vehicle ever invented) there are still costs to bear: cost of bicycle and fittings and spares and other necessities and of course food and lodging. While costs in Asia are reasonably cheap, once in Europe the costs can be prohibitively high. It is estimated that the total cost of my journey to be about RM40,000. I am happy to say that to date, my requests for sponsorship have been positive from Media Prima (TV3; UFL(Universal Fitness And Leisure) Guinness Malta and Canon Marketing. I an also proud to say that my former students from S.M. Seri Garing,Rawang headed by Mr Francis Yew are giving me a generous cash sponsorship. I am still waiting for responses from other Sponsors and I am confident my target will be met before my departure.
Besides cash, I hope to get sponsors for the following : digital SLR camera/video camera, cycling equipment and spares, energy supplements, 2 airline tickets from London to KL(after the completion of the journey) and other things that can help lessen the burden and make my journey easier.Where accommodation is not available, I am well equipped to camp along the way but I hope that will not be the norm.

While I consider myself very lucky to be in this physical state to be able to undertake this daunting challenge, there are many Malaysians who are less fortunate and are in constant need of medical treatment, but far from being able to afford the high cost of treatment.

In this respect, I'm collaborating with the Malaysian Aids Foundation, to collect funds for the Foundation. Your donation will go a long way in making a difference to the lives of Malaysians who are infected and affected by HIV. It must be emphasised that most of those infected are innocent women and young children, through no fault of their own. It is my hope, that my humble effort in this arduous journey, will inspire fellow Malaysians to make a donation. Your donation, however small, will be appreciated as it can make a difference to the lives of the people who are in need of help. Donation can made through the Foundation's Maybank Account- 514105421257.

You can also call me at +60126369227 or read my blog at www.oadnanxtreme.blogspot.com. I'd certainly appreciate your comments. Expect some pictures in my next post.




1 comment:

Eileen Wong said...

Hi Cikgu, when are you leaving?? Anybody organising any send-off?? All the best and hope you can make it this time to London..