Thursday, September 29, 2011

SIMPANG - TAIPING


Tuesday 27th September 2011

Left B.G at 8.30 a.m, again with an overcast sky, by-passing Ipoh. The road through Menglembu to Jelapang and then Chemor is quite pleasant really, with a wide lane for cyclists, and the road after Sg. Siput has improved a great deal partly due to the KTMB's double tracking development. I made a stop at my old school ( Clifford School, Kuala Kangsar) which I left in 1960. I made a call to the school earlier informing the Head of my intention, and to my surpise, I was greeted by a group of students, who are cycling enthusiasts. I was also treated to some ' Raya ' goodies.

The school now has 1800 pupils as opposed to 600 during my time. After Kuala


Kangsar you need to tackle 'Bukit Berapit' before you get to Taiping. It would not be much of a problem on a road bike but with a heavy load on a touring bike you are stretched to the limits. On the positive side, once you reach the top, its a roller coaster ride for some kilometres down. Pray that the bike behaves or you'll go flying. We found a hotel at Simpang and decided to stay there instead of going into Taiping town. Tomorrow we'll continue our journey to Butterworth and maybe on to Sungai Petani.

2 comments:

amir said...

Go! Adnan go!
Good luck and keep up with the postings. We are traveling with you in our armchairs!
On the Sunday of you flag off, I was at Menglembu Kledang hills for the Ipoh Kona Mountainbike Jamboree.
Dr Amir Lee

Joe said...

I studied at the Methodist school in Sg Siput dulu dulu!!!