Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pleasant and unpleasant in Vientianne

I







I can actually stay here for weeks and not get stressed as the city is not crowded nor busy with the traffic of cities like Bangkok or Jakarta. There is only one shopping mall that I know of and it is nowhere as large as Amcorp mall in PJ. The tourist area is close to the Mekong river and the usual bars and cafes that cater for the tourists are no different from those found in Hanoi, Bangkok or Phnom Penh. Most tourists are French and quite a number of Japanese.Prices are rising and rooms in the tourist area has risen since I was here in 08 .







So far I have not met a single Malaysian on the street, I wonder why ? What do Malaysians look for ?







I joined the Muslims for the Hari Raya Korban prayers this morning and most of those present were Indian Muslims with about 10 percent Lao. there is another mosque that is patronised mostly by Indonesians. After prayers, a meal of chicken curry and French bread was served, that I enjoyed thoroughly. A unique thing that I noticed is that after the completion of the prayers those present went about hugging and embracing each other in a brotherly fashion, something I have not seen elsewhere. A. total of about 150 people were present with about a dozen women.







My stay in Vientianne was made pleasant by the kind treatment I got from the Bari family.They are jewellers from Chennai who have been operating here for about 40 years.They not only shared their meals with me, I also used their premises for internet connection, and the food they served made me feel like home.I could never repay their kindness.








Now the unpleasant part.I lost my camera today and the irony is I lost it at the mosque..I shan't go into details of how it got lost but really all is not lost. 95 percent of the pictures taken with the camera are already imported to my IPad. That's really a consolation. That reminds me of my Thai friend, Somchai, who lost his camera in Vietnam and his was by a snatch thief. And worst of all he lost all the pictures taken throughout his journey.

















- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh adnan very sad that u lost ur camera.all over the world people r same.i lost my wallet containing 50 evro i.c. driving licence n some cards in omonia square athens. u got to take good care of everything. take care cikgu.deen from j.b.

Anonymous said...

sad to know that you lost your camera anyway you still have ipad.good luck will come after bad luck.take care
somchai

Joe said...

When are you crossing into China?