Sunday, April 22, 2012

Charmed by Budapest

I did not do any research on the places or cities that I have passed through during my journey and besides those places that I have visited before like Bangkok and Vientiane , I always look forward to know the cities first hand through being physically there and feeling the pulse of it. Every city has its own characteristic that it is well known for, for instance,  its people ; history; the arts ; iconic structures ; location ; etc. As for me, I think Budapest offers a wide variety of things for all visitors . I am truly impressed with the architecture and to think that there are hundreds of buildings with its own individual intricate designs incorporated into it simply blows my mind away. And to think that some of these buildings are several hundred years old, really makes me feel rather embarrassed to think of our Sultan Abdul Samad building or the KL Railway Station as comparison. We did not take any of the tour packages like the Hop On, Hop Off or the Danube River Cruise but for us to be able to cycle and see some of the sights is enough to cherish the wonderful memories.

Both sides of the river ( Buda and Pest ) are crowded with tourists and the beauty of it is that most of these people get around on foot or cycle. I also see runners (male and female, young and old) running along the river probably training for a marathon or just running to keep fit and enjoying the beautiful surrounding at the same time. Talking about marathons, tomorrow ( today by the time you read this) Sunday 22nd April is the London Marathon and how nice it would be if I were to be able to run it.

Budapest is a bicycle- friendly (in my opinion) city . I see many people cycling around obviously not for recreation but for conveyance to work or travel from place to place. Besides those with multiple gears many are of the basic utility type bicycles. There are facilities for bicycle parking all over the city and the city has many outlets renting out bicycles for tourists and also provide cycling tours .

An interesting fact that I discovered is that the population of Budapest has declined  in the last couple of years. For a city that is widespread without soaring sky scrappers, Budapest do not have traffic jams any time of the day and everyone seems to observe traffic rules. Pedestrians cross when the lights turn green at zebra crossings and motorists likewise stop for the pedestrians at zebra crossings where there are no lights.

One reason why I am spending more days here is because in Budapest there are many food outlets serving food that we enjoyed like those found in Turkey . Around the place we are staying, are a number of such outlets,serving doner kebabs, chicken, turkey or beef dishes plus rice. There are also outlets serving Lebanese and Bangla food . I don't know if I can get the same kind of food as we move on.

There is also a vibrant nightlife in Budapest. The tourist enclaves are dotted with cafes and bars that spill over to the side - walks and some patrons are seen standing around outside the bars having their drinks as the seats inside are all taken. Like in most cities, the Hard Rock Cafe never fail to the attract the faithful regulars. Other attractions would be the topless bars and the Sex Shop. Of course I did not patronise any of these places while I was here, not because I am a saint but the truth is I just can't afford them and I am not on a pleasure trip. Maybe next time eh!. There are also the operas , the theatres , and musical performances which some of you would enjoy here. To end my description of Budapest, perhaps I should also mention that with the warmer weather, the young ladies and girls of Budapest are going back to donning the mini skirts. I don't know if this is something new, or simply the revival of the trend of the seventies. Sorry, but I can't help but notice such things.

We are moving on in the morning and hope to cover at least 60 kilometers or thereabout if we can find accommodation.





Statues, a common sight in Budapest



A  splendid building on the Buda side of the Danube



A rival to the Houses Of Parliament in London on the
Pest side of the Danube




Cycling on one of the bridges over the Danube



A church on Pest side



Something like the Temples of the limestone hills
near Ipoh




The BLUE Danube



One of the Bridges









This is not a mosque



Saturday night in Budapest



The stretched Lincoln Continental with the bridge in
In the background



The Hard Rock Cafe never fail to attract the crowd



A grim reminder



Such Elaborate Doorways are common



Wish you were here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HiAdnan and Aede,
There will be lots of Kebabs and Indian food as you cycle to Paris, Germany, Austria, Amsterdam. There will be an ungly sight of bicycles in Amsterdam. Lots of Locked up Bicycles along the streets. There are more bicycles in Amsterdam then in China. just be careful with pick pockets in paris. Take care and have a safe journey. Vessabhu

Joe said...

Heard from people here that Budapest is indeed a very beautiful city with lots of old world charm. Keep on biking amigos. There will be kebab and falafel outlets all the way. Aede, are you biking back to Romania? :)