Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bangkok ,then Saraburi


Hi guys, it's me again from Bangkok. For your info I have been to Bangkok many times before but it had always been on transit at the airport and even overnight on my way to the Himalayas the last several years. This time around
I am able to see and experience what being in Bangkok is really like. I am lucky to have the company of Mr Naped and Miss Patcharin to show me around. They are both cycling enthusiasts from Thailand cycling Club. The club has a website and that's how they managed to trace me.
Bangkok is 3-4 times the size of KL and is a bustling city. Traffic is a real problem although the city roads are wide. The taxi ride to the Malaysian embassy 7 km away from my Guest house took 1 hour and it was a big disappointment when I got there. I only managed to speak to the ladies manning the front desks who were Thais and not able to see any Malaysian officials as they were having a meeting. I was asked to come in the afternoon or wait.
That's the end of my experience with the Malaysian Embassy. I then went to the Malaysian Tourism office some 400 meters away At Liberty Square and again the front desk was manned by a Thai lady. At least I managed to see and speak to the Deputy Director , a young man En. Ahmad Zawawi Zakaria who helped me to activate my Maybank card. I was also served coffee. I had expected to see Puan Rubiah whom I was told is the Director, but unfortunately she had been posted to Phuket in March. Puan Rubiah was a student I taught in Rawang in the early seventies . She was a pretty and popular girl who was also a good sports person. It would have been nice to see her again after over 30 yrs.
While in Bangkok I also had a chance to cycle to the various tourist spots accompanied by Mr Naped. Although traffic is heavy cycling is possible as the motorists seem to give way to cyclists provided you give the correct and early signals. At some places it is possible to ride on the sidewalks.
Bangkok has many monuments and parks and they seem to be well kept. The King is much respected by the people and everywhere you could see portraits of the King prominently displayed. All around the square where the Palace is situated you could cycle or jog as there is a track that goes round the entire area which is at least 1 km on each side. At night the city is beautifully lighted.
I am leaving Bangkok in the morning at 5 am to escape the traffic and 1 or 2 cyclists will ride with me for some 20 to30 km out of Bangkok before I go on my own Isn't that nice?
I am quite well known now in Thailand because a few days ago I was featured in the local paper together with photographs in Chumphon with Mr Somchai. Not bad eh.
Once again I must thank all of you who SMSed me and those who posted comments on the blog with encouragements and well wishes. Just know that your thoughts are always with me.. Hassan,Che, Ferhad, Azean, James Suraya , Surinder A Coy, Kamal, Jia You n Liz ,Dave Gaik Hong , Wan Azlin, Roshan Halim, Aziz Ramaro, Gaik Hong, Mrs Viji n fly Fatguy druz Mohan, Bhoy Faizan RedI Kana Bresar Lawerence Nantakumar Xsoldier Ben, Christine eu.Club ,Malcom Hood, Jun-e, OPRizal, MM Hani Azmzn tajau Bakar, NaNa, Cha Cha, Noorbee. Kama, Nona, Ann nd the Adams, Jimbo Tey, Khoo, All the Facebook group and others too many to remember. Love you all, take care , till next time.
Adnan.

4 comments:

sydazleen said...

Hai Pak Nan...Wish u all the best...Pak Nan Blh!!!

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Salam, Pak Adnan

When I first read about your KL-Beijing cycling trip, I was so inspired that I wrote a special entry about it in my blog, headed "It's Never Too Late Dream" (Monday, 26th May 2008).

Here's hoping you'll achieve that dream - in style!

PS: Could I please have your cellphone number please, so that the family could send you encouraging words along the way.

Thank you and Wassalam.

afflatus said...

Dear Puteri,

Pak Nan's cellphone number is +6012-636-9227.

Hasan.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Ah, thanks a mil, my friend.

Salaam.