Saturday, June 21, 2008

Khon Kaen to Udun Thani tomorrow?

Hi again,
I' m getting closer to the Laotian border and I don't know whether I should be happy or otherwise. I have had a nice experience in Thailand, despite the problems with things like communication and the regular food that I'm used to. It is always hard to get coffee and you can forget 'teh tarik', or nasi lemak. I get a lot of tom yam, tho'.
This morning I went on a sightseeing tour of Khon Kaen with my "guide" the bellboy from the hotel . It is his day off. There is a huge lake here that has a track all around it which is perfect for jogging or cycling, and it is very well kept. It is about 5 km around the lake with a restaurant and the local museum nearby. While there, a motorcycle race was going on at a small circuit and Petronas was well represented. There was also no lack of monuments all over the place. With a bicycle it is much easier to move around, except for the hot sun.
My camera is now 'kaput', so, unless I get a new one there will be no more pictures. I actually dropped the camera before reaching Hat Yai but it was still functioning, now, I m afraid it's gone.
The route I have taken so far had been rather flat and the scenery although beautiful is rather boring because in Thailand it is paddy fields and more paddy fields, even along the highways. Outside of Bangkok, the traffic is not as heavy as we find on Malaysian highways. I have also been lucky, that, so farI had good weather except for some drizzle on the way here, otherwise it was hot,hot,hot.
In the hotel room, except for the few channels that has English news all the movies are in Thai. It is interesting to see Sean Connery,Charlston Heston, Sophia Loren and all the Hollywood stars speaking Thai. Let's hope we in Malaysia don't follow suit.
The petrol price in Thailand is much higher than back home. It is 44 baht per litre for the premium grade and a little less for the others, but parking is free at most places except at the complexes and private car parks. However outside of Bangkok I don't see any jams.
I must confess that I am terribly homesick and missing the things that I usually do, like gardening, the workout at home or the gym and most of all my buddies at 'Warung Rus' in PJ Old Town, especially the regulars like Datuk Johan, Cikgu Mat, Din, Datuk Jaafar, JJ, Sam, Lee, Stanley's loud voice, Wak Sudin, Hj Kamaruddin, Agos, Rosli, Mejor, Alam, Alias, Oad and others - too many to mention and of course, Kamariah's cooking. To you guys, you are always in my thoughts, salam and take care. I guess that's all for now.
Regards and take care.
Adnan

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Adnan,
I remember posting my comments in your last blog but it did not appear. Never mind here it is. If you want to read M'sian news go to Star -at www.thestar.com.my and for NST the web site is www.nst.com.my. That is how I get my home news here in NZ.
I hope you're fine and please do it at your own pace. You're not in a race unless you want to go to Maio country soonest. Enjoy! and all the best.dwcwh

Keipo said...

Hi,Adnan:

Should ok in Laos later..!

Salute to u 66 spirit !!

If got chance..see ya in Beijing later..haha

Tey

http://pmtey.multiply.com

Pls register at multiply and invite me,after I accept u,u can view my race photo collection..cheers !!

afflatus said...

Pak Nan,

Since my last update to you on June 8 (click here) informing you of the Facebook group supporting your ride having 68 members, the membership has grown by another 47 to 115 people now!

Here are the latest messages for you posted on the Facebook group's "The Wall":

------

Syarifah Noorazlin (Malaysia) wrote
at 10:43pm on June 10th, 2008

Hai Pak Nan ...Wish u all the best!!Pak Nan bLH....

------

Rosna Duni (New York, NY) wrote
at 12:41am on June 11th, 2008

Tabik springlah Abang Nan!!! 2 weeks already reach Bangkok. I don't even think I can cycle from Kelana Jaya..let's say, to Bangsar.

On the family news, Nina is back in KL for a month's holiday and going back to NYC end of this month.

Apa2pun, take care of your health OK??? Our prayers are with you always.

Salam,
Nona.

------

Aida Salina (Malaysia) wrote
at 12:11pm on June 11th, 2008

Dear Tok Nan,

Really proud of you! =)
All the best

------

Adrian Low wrote
at 1:56pm on June 12th, 2008

Seksinya kaki....

------

Rozana Wong (Australia) wrote
at 1:15pm on June 14th, 2008
Abang Adnan,
Wow what a journey. Do take care. All the best and have a safe journey to and from China.

Ana

------

Kam Kasturie (Malaysia) wrote
at 7:11pm on June 16th, 2008
Cikgu,

Gambatte kudasai!!

OP Kam

------

And the new 47 new members of the Facebook group of 115 people are:

01. Abdulhadi Wahid (Malaysia)
02. Adrian Low (Malaysia)
03. Aida Malissa (Malaysia)
04. Aida Salina (Malaysia)
05. Alin R.Ratne (Malaysia)
06. Amir Zohri (Malaysia)
07. Amreek Singh (Malaysia)
08. Andrew Ng Yeng Joo (Malaysia)
09. Aisya Khairil (Malaysia) - my niece
10. Ashraf Ishak (Malaysia)
11. Azlan Zahari Mohd Zahid (Malaysia)
12. Barry Lim (Malaysia)
13. Bron Narsiman (Australia)
14. Chong Eng Par (Malaysia)
15. Dan Ghostarica (Malaysia)
16. Erni Noor (Malaysia)
17. Esham Salam (Malaysia)
18. Esther Tan (Malaysia)
19. Fara Suzeera Abdul Rashid (Malaysia)
20. Farah Abdul Rahim (Malaysia)
21. Fashilah Ahmad (Malaysia)
22. Fathi Ridzuan Ahmad Fauzi
23. Haniza Baharudin (Malaysia)
24. Ida Yaacob (Malaysia)
25. Izhar Firdaus (Japan)
26. Jenny Yow (Malaysia)
27. Kam Kasturie (Malaysia)
28. Karen Lian (Malaysia)
29. Karina Bahrin (Malaysia)
30. Lynn Choo (Malaysia)
31. Marjan Paemen (England)
32. Marsila Zainuddin (Malaysia) - my wife
33. Maryam Amirudin (Malaysia)
34. Maslynnawati Ahmad (Malaysia)
35. Muhammad Helmy Zainal (Malaysia)
36. Najamuddin Zabidi (Malaysia)
37. Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad
38. Nina Ayub (New York, NY)
39. Rizal Noor (Malaysia)
40. Rozana Wong (Australia)
41. Rozi Wong (Malaysia)
42. Syarifah Noorazlin (Malaysia)
43. Sharifah Puteri (Malaysia)
44. Sherrina Renshaw (Malaysia)
45. Tan Cheng Yeong (Malaysia)
46. Tan Jun-E (Malaysia)
47. Zena Keily (Malaysia)

Luv always,
Hasan.

Anonymous said...

Adnan:

Forgot to let u know that,blogspot can't view in China,so,u must use blogcn,that is china blog,so,if u want to update or view at China,must register a blogcn woh !!

http://sys2.blogcn.com/control/userAction.do?method=inputUser

Easy register one.

1.First is Blog name
2.password
3.re-type password
4.Personal Email
5.personal blogcn name
example----http://----.blogcn.com
6.birthdate
7.Sex:male or female
8.Type same digit for confirmation
9.click the last part for registration complete.

If u hv any question,pls let me know.

Tey

http://pmtey.multiply.com

Anonymous said...

or u can visit at :

www.blogcn.com

Tey
http://pmtey.multiply.com

Unknown said...

Hi Adnan,

Tho hv not posted on yr blog for a while, I've been flwg yr progress very closely. U're doing fantastic progress !

Hows the Trek paniers servicing you so far ? Am happy to see it in the hands of M'sia's 'Wira' now.

Many thanks for adding pictures to yr blog. Its unfortunate tho yr camera broke for good.

Btw, nice to see u in action thru Naapeds video in his blog. Keep that 'M'sian flag' flying all the way to the Beijing Olympic's ... you fully deserve the Gold medal for yr valiant efforts !

U take care & all the best, O L Y M P I A N !!!

Don

Berisman said...

Assalamualaikum Abang Nan,
I am inspired by your adventure to ride a bicycle from KL to Beijing.I am 10 years younger but only dared to ride my mountain bike around my neighbourhood-Ampang area.

I wish you all the best and may Allah swt protect you all the way and all the time.

Best regards and take care,