Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Laos and.........



Hi Guys,
Sorry for being quiet for quite a while- sometimes I don't have access to a cafe. Left Udon Thani early 6.00 am local time which is 7.00am Malaysian time (already bright). As usual the route is easy and straight and flat but this time 8 km out on the h'way, on 2 occasions I was chased by dogs. The first, a mid- sized dog that chased me for 70 meters before it lost steam and the second time, 2 dogs chased me for almost 100 meters before giving up. I wasn't in any real danger really, because dogs cannot bite you, while running. Good thing I had power in the legs as they actually kept pace for the distance. This Olympic fever has also got to the dogs eh. I also had a small snake crossing my path - missed it by inches. Much of the route had petty traders selling their wares, barbeque chickens, coconut water and many other things. No wonder, I don't see RnRs like we see on our H'ways. There are also no toll booths.
I made two stops and as the journey to Nong Khai was only 55 km I had plenty of time. I came across a farm that uses solar panels instead of the usual plastic coverings. I haven't seen that back home. At 9.00 I stopped for b'fast at a stall run by a mid- aged lady and chatted with some others. Many ladies run businesses on their own as their husbands have left them and the children. They are nonetheless very enterprising, and one I met, says that she is still hoping to find another husband, and she has waited 16 yrs. She is still hopeful, though. One of them actually joined me for dinner that evening in Nong Khai with her 16 yr old daughter. I've become eligible in Thailand. Talking to farmers, and simple people keeps my mind off the tough journey ahead.
Udon Thani also has a lake like Khon Kaen, though smaller, and I managed to see part of of it and met some young cyclists there. They also have bicycles for rent which we don't have at our gardens. The cycling and jogging track is very well managed and the landscape beautiful.
Nong Khai is smaller than Udon Thani and is rather quiet, with most places closed by 8.00pm. Even the riverside cafes are not well patronised. You can see the Friendship Bridge and its lights at night.
I left Nong Khai at 9.00 after a light b'fast, cycled across the 'Bridge' after clearing immigration and said goodbye to Thailand. The bridge is slightly more than 1 km long and it is unique in that the railway line actually acts as a divider to the two-way traffic. After crossing I cleared immigration on the Laos side and proceeded to Vientianne.
Do you know that in Laos they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road? Yes they drive on the right. (Am I confusing you, he,he) One has to get used to that. They do the same in Vietnam, I am told. The highway to Vientianne is similar to that in Thailand, except that they are not well managed. The motorcycle and bicycle lane is strewn with debris and laterite and are dangerous. The only consolation is, there is little traffic. I am now staying at a small hotel but the room is clean and has all the luxuries like aircon, satelite TV, hot shower and the usual trappings. I' d probably stay an extra day to plan my route . Incidently, the guy manning the reception is a student in Nilai college, who is back for a short vacation and his family runs the hotel. Small world. In Laos the currency is the Kip. I changed 1000 baht into Kip and I got more than 260,000 kips but I paid 35,000 kips for a plate of rice, mutton curry and a drink. It reminds me of Indonesia. For the first time in nearly a month I had curry (Indian) at a food court in a shopping complex. Tomorrow I'll try the chicken briyani.
Thanks Jimbo,Tey and berisman for your advice and comments. and to Don the Treks pannier is giving good service so far, and do you know, most people think that I had been cycling for years before doing this, and when I tell them that my first serious ride was for the new year to Cameron Highlands they knew that I had a screw loose somewhere - he,he.
To those who SMSed me please excuse me for not replying. Thank you very much, I really appreciate them, it's just that it will cost me RM2/- for each SMS. Thanks Shem (Mrs Foley)
One other thing I came across on the highway in Thailand is that it is also used by buffaloes. Yes, one occasion a few of them were crossing and the vehicles had to wait for then. You see there are no fences to keep them away as on our highways.
Well it is quite long this time. I can write more, but if you know how long I take to write this you'd feel sorry for me, typing using one finger at a time. Regards and take care.
Adnan

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Adnan,
Great to hear that you're ok and you've made it Laos. Reaching Beijing is one thing but enjoying your journey is what counts. I look forward to your blog and hope that I can access it when you reach China.
Hey, you are still attractive and won't be surprised you get way laid.
Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hi Adnan,

Well done for reaching Laos in good time.Been following your travels with interests and much enjoyment.

Your armchair travel partner,
Dr Lee

Keipo said...

Hi,Pakcik Adnan:

So,enjoy u trip in Laos.

Take care !

bathmate said...

thanks for your great posting


Bathmate