Sunday, July 6, 2008

Still enjoying Hanoi.

Hi again, Sorry for the abrupt stop yesterday, but here they are strict about closing time, but they are not punctual about opening.Yesterday I (we) visited the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, where 'Uncle'Ho's embalmed body can be viewed. Thousands had to queue before you can enter and the opening hrs are very short-only about 3 hours. 'Uncle' Ho is Vietnam's greatest hero and his contribution to the country continues even after death. Millions go into Vietnam's coffers just by having to view his body. Many people won't agree with me but he looks like a wax model to me. Even Madame Tussuad's wax models look more lifelike than "Uncle". The Museum is a better choice as it depicts the country's history and how they fought the French.

There are many more sights you can visit but I don't care much for temples and pagodas.Just like Thailand and Laos transport available are the same- buses, taxis, motorcycles, and trishaws but strangely no tuk-tuk. Just about everyone will try to fleece you if you are not wise, so don't be easily taken.

Today we had lunch at a 'Malay' restaurant run by 'Ben' Alias a guy who left the country 30 yrs ago and has since been to 16 countries. His first marriage was in 1999 to a Vietnamese girl (32) Nur Adelena Abdullah and they have 2 daughters 21/2 and 7. 'Ben' is 61 years old and was a national sepak takraw player in the 70's The food is nothing much to shout about but it is ok when away from home. Generally food is expensive here.

I lost my helmet somewhere before reaching Hanoi so now I have just bought a new one. Sorry Agos, to have lost what you gave me, it has served me well.

I 'll be going to the Chinese Embassy tomorrow and hope to get the visa. I am hopeful. Got to leave now - hope to blog again tomorrow with some good news- I hope. Regards to all.

Adnan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle

We all from Batu Gajah wish you all the best.Hopefully you will bring back some memorable olympic
pics.GOOD LUCK.

From Choon and family