Saturday, July 5, 2008

A grand time in Hanoi



Hi again,Today I'll write about what I have been dong since I arrived in Hanoi.
The ride from Thanh some 150 km away was uneventful, as the route was as usual monotonous, except, when I meet people whom I could communicate with. Anyway, many found me quite strange cycling alone, along the dusty road with heavy panniers (saddlebags) with 3 flags flying. Many thought I was Laotion, and when they knew I was Malaysian they showed extra interest, some would ride their motorcyles alongside and have a chat before riding off. There's a railway that actually runs parallel the road most of the way.
I hit the dual carriageway highway about 40 km before Hanoi which made riding easier but I rode for 10 km in what I call 'hell' traffic. The traffic was teeming with thousands upon thousands of motorcycles (and bicycles) and other vehicles. To see a situation like that reminds me of ants moving in all directions and yet manage to avoid collision - you have to see to believe. I was later told that the population of Hanoi is close to 4 million and there are 2 million motorcycles. I rode for 10km before reaching the hotel where I was greeted by two of my brothers- in- law, who had flown in a day earlier, to spend some time with me before I go into China. Shahrin 70 and Dato' Syed Abdul Rahman 68 were equally happy to see me, still in one piece, amazed at how I managed the traffic. Anyway I was extremely glad to check into a 3 star hotel with all the luxuries, and real decent food (the Indian Restaurant was just opposite the hotel). Mutton curry was the first of my choices, (after a quick bath,that is).
Yesterday was Ha Long Bay some 170km away, but the journey was worth it, though I wouldn't make a second trip there. The three of us went in a hired SUV with a guide and and again a private boat just for the three of us and the guide. The boat can actually take 50 passengers. We spent 3 hrs on the boat and had lunch freshly cooked on the boat with fresh crabs, prawns, squids, veges and other dishes. Ha Long is a real wonder of nature with some 2000 outcrops of islands and rocks of various shapes and sizes and have caves similar to those in Sarawak (Mulu) There were hundreds of other boats with tourists mostly 'Kwai Lohs' and from other countries. All in all the trip was worthwhile though short. A better arrangement is to stay overnight at Ha Long bay instead of a day trip.
Along the way we also stopped at factory producing ceramic and china and gemstones. There was also a section producing handwoven paintings done by handicapped workers who are children of parents affected by 'agent orange' during the Vietnam War.
The 'Cafe' is closing, will continue tomorrow. Regards.
Adnan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Adnan,
Greetings from Jason & Sook Ying.
Got your blog link from Jenny and have emailed to other PACM members so that they can also follow your progress.Good to know that you have made it this far alone n I admire your courage n determination.

Went for Siemens Run this morning and then met Jenny & Uncle Tan at Tong Shin for b'fast.

Take care & enjoy your adventure.....ADNAN Boleh !!!!!

sydazleen said...

Hai Pak Nan,

Happy to hear that u already reach Vietnam, n had a greet time with abah n Pak shah.Jealous I, Menyesal tak follow abah n pak Shah.Kesian Mak Ain tinggal sorang.Seronoknya gie Hong Long Bay,Vitnam mcm Abg's second home, hehe. That why he knows everything, where to eat n where to go n etc.

Almost everyday i check your Blog. Hope u will get the Visa to China. Pak Nan Boleh..Lots of Love - Chipah n Mak