Friday, July 4, 2008

In Hanoi and don't feel like leaving.


Hi Guys, Sorry for deserting you for so long, but sometimes I had no choice. Anyway here I am again and I'll try to fill you up from where I left off. After leaving Vientianne I headed for Pakxan some 100 odd km away but it was quite easy as it was flat most of the way. The road wasn't as good as in Thailand but traffic was light and that helped. Laos is very undeveloped compared to Thailand and some people in the remote parts still live in thatched huts like you find among the 'orang aslis', back home, but one thing we should envy them is that these so called huts enjoy cable TV. Satellite dishes are all over. Pakxan is a small town, like Slim River and has only one hotel.The hotel is well appointed though not well maintained. Towns in Laos seem to have hotels owned or run by Vietnamese. Even the masseurs are Vietnamese. Don't ask me if I have been naughty, you are not going to believe me whatever I tell you anyway.
One thing about Laos I notice, is that, they have vast timber resources and they produce very good wood products - furniture, carvings, etc. Only hope they don't plunder their forests like we do. The other town I spent the night before crossing to Vietnam was Lak Sao and I had the misfortune of being checked into a guest house that was run down and because of the heat,I left all the windows and the door ajar. After a few minutes a herd of goats found their way into the room. And to get to that town must be the hardest ride I had so far . I had to tackle very steep hills something like cycling up Cameron Highlands by Simpang Pulai, but once you reach the top the view is really breathtaking, and way down in such situation, it is always a welcome sight.
The Laotian children are really friendly. They readily pose for photographs esp. with my bicycle. Many are amazed at the number of gears the bike has.
From Lak Sao to the Vietnamese border, is about 30 km, and though it has some hills they are gentle and almost without traffic. After clearing immigration and crossing to the Vietnamese side it was the most pleasant ride because I did not have to paddle for about 25 km. I only came across about 12 vehicles for that distance - amazing. After that it was mostly downhill. Hardly anyone speaks English in this part, so I had problems even asking for directions, and in fact once shown the wrong way. Luckily, it was only a short distance. I was chased by a dog again after crossing the border, border guard dogs, I guess, . I reached Vinh late evening and checked into a nice 2 star hotel and was surprised that it costs only USD10/- while at some hotel of worse conditions I paid USD15/-
I am now in Hanoi and I'll try and write more about Vinh and the ride to Hanoi tomorrow, but just make sure you stay with my blog. I am now staying in a very well appointed Hotel in the tourist area of Hanoi, with two Malaysians, my two brothers -in-law, who flew in the day before. We just came back from a cruise in Halong Bay. I may need to stay longer here, which I don't mind. I have to try for the visa on Monday and that could take some time.
To some of my friends in PACM who are following my blog I hope your training is going well, what with all the runs coming up soon. After a miserable finish at the last KLIM I really need to put in some training to even come in under 6 hrs. I envy guys like YLWan, Hooi. Gary, Kishab who have always been consistent, and Ngae, how about another Sahara marathon. Let me try the S'pore marathon in Dec first.
Blueamoeboa, arz , and Ann ,thanks for all the encouragemant and advice -you guys take care as well. To those who SMS to me, please identify yourself. I'd like to know you. That's all, till tomorrow. Regards.
Adnan

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Adnan,
Thought you have disappeared into the arms of Laotian women, ha ha. Its nice to read your blog again.
Wah, living in luxury in Hanoi and all the good food too. You better fatten up as there might be problems with food in China.
Seriously, are you confident of getting the Visa to China. If not perhaps the guys at our embassy might help. All the best. Jimbo.

John said...

Hi Adnan,
Wow! You're now in Vietnam. Can't imagine I can cycle that distance! Brado. Almost reaching China already.
BTW, if you have the chance, can you please check if there is any marathon events in Vietnam? Thanks.

Best wishes,
John & Wai Mun

vessabhu said...

Hi Adnan.
At last I managed to get to write to you. What a journey and I 'm with you. will write more in my next mail. Take care and God Bless.
Hoy ( Melbourne )

Syed Rizal said...

Pak Nan!

Glad to read you have safely reached Ha Noi and have met up with Abah & Pak Shah. You were quiet for quite a while so we could only wish your journey was safe. Nice to hear you guys managed to visit Ha Long Bay as well. Surely it was quite a gem!

Since you still have a few days there, do visit Uncle Ho at his mausoleum. If nothing else you'll get to see how the Viets still revere their former leader and they come from all over the country just to catch a glimpse. Also, do enjoy the food there while you can! Have told Abah An'Nisa Restaurant is actually pretty close to where you guys are staying. Try to visit there to leave your mark as many Malaysians drop by the place and I'm sure they'll be proud and amazed to see u there.

We hope your Visa can be granted from Ha Noi so your Beijing dreams will come true. Meantime you all have fun in Ha Noi!

Lots of love from Rizal, Az, Adam, Lisa, Dina & Zara!

oadnanxtreme said...

Thanks Jimbo from NZ, don't worry I m still in one piece, and in the mean time enjoy the rugby there, take care.
John and Wai Mun, Good thet you r also reading the blog, sure If I get to China I'll try and get info about the runs there, if only I can run like both of you!!!
You too Hoy, so nice to know you are also following from down under, I 've yet to make a trip there, take care.
And to you Rizal, Thanks Im really having a grand time here, I'soon grow fat if I stay longer. Yes we'll try the Malay restaurant tomorrow. Salam and love to all of you back there.
Adnan

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Hehehe Sweeping.. what a cute opener..

Good to know you have made it to Vietnam, Pak Adnan. Was left wondering what had happened to you. Hope you'll get your visa soon. In the meantime, do get a well-deserved rest. Salam from all of us.