Tuesday, July 8, 2008

They refuse to give the Visa .Period.

Hi again,
It is not something unexpected, I am just angry because they made it very unpleasant. After yesterday, I arranged a hotel booking in Nanning and got the confirmation faxed and I also got a return bus ticket booking to Nanning. With the documents required I again made my way to the embassy. After having to queue like everybody else I was later told to get photocopies of the documents, so I had to leave the Q and take a motorcycle ride for some 1/2 km and with the photocopies joined the q again. At the same counter as yesterday the same guy
said that the Chinese govt. is not issuing visas to those without visas from the country of origin. Can you beat that? It is sickening, to say the least. Anyway I was not the only person to be refused, so that's a little consolation. 'Kwai Loh' and some from other Asian countries were also refused. What's next?!!!
My brothers-in-law have left Hanoi for KL and I have moved to a smaller hotel, which is very comfortable and the people friendly for just USD18/- , to lick my wounds and plan my next move. Forget China and the Olympics. I will stay here for 2 more nights and
then move south to Hue and continue to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). From there I might go to Phnom Penh. I might skip Seam Reap because I was there last year and make my way back to KL. What an anti climax eh.!! Well, that's life, I guess..
I know I have disappointed many people but, don't worry there will be other adventures to plan and look forward to.I welcome suggestions from all.
I thank all those who have been following my progress thus far and I shall continue to blog whenever I can as I go along from here.
Sorry Jimbo, 'Bandit' Tey, Rizal, Ann, Puteri Kamaliah and Anonymous for your comments. I have more to write especially about some of the interesting people that I met along the way from the time I started, and when I get back to KL I'd be able to post more pictures .
There are two Malaysian girls who are also guest of the same hotel ,but I still do not know their names as they have gone out - I'll get to know them when they come back. They actually just came in from Sapa and leaving for KL tomorrow.Well, I guess that's all for now, keep your chin up. Regards .
Adnan

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ai sey... this posting is such an anticlimax... this non issuance of visa shows that it is not a 'borderless' world after all. I feel for you,cikgu Adnan, notwithstanding the fact that you are almost halfway through... What a downer....... Maybe as a last resort, u could show/tell them that your journey is a 'one-of-a-kind' trip from SEA to the Far Eastern city of Beijing. Luckily u are not passing thru Mongolia....

Anonymous said...

Dear Adnan,

You are not trying enough, I must say!
Being refused the China visa is expected. The frontline staff has no authority to grant you the visa, more so when you are applying for it not from your home country and it being olympics season.
Drop by our Malaysian embassy with your newspapers cuttings and speak to our ambassdor or the first secretary. If they can help, a personal phone call or memo to their Chinese counterparts may get you the visa.
Dont give up yet!
Dr Amir Lee

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Salaam Pak Adnan

I'm in agreement with Dr Amir Lee. Please don't give up yet. Give it another try, this time through our embassy channel. Your luck may just be in. But whatever your decision, we're with you all the way. After all, it takes a lot of gumption to do what you have done. So don't feel down, will you?

Syed Rizal said...

Pak Nan,

What a damper! But I have to agree with the rest : don't give up just yet! Try our embassy or go to the border as your last resort. If embassy doesn't work I believe you have nothing to loose by trying one of the border crossings. If you fail again at the border than only you forget about China.

For consolation, it came out in the news last night that the Malaysian press crew etc intending to cover the Olympics have also yet to receive their Visas. These are people with international accreditations you know. It seems after the Mongolia issue the Chinese government are really really stringent about issuing Visas.

As much as I like the plans for your return trip passing thru Hue, HCMC, PP etc. right now I'm still rooting for you to go further North! If you are forced to make a U-turn (pun intended...hehehe refer to PI Bala)from the north then my support is with you. As of now please try again ya!

Your brothers in-law have safely arrived yesterday and talking to Abah he sounded much dissapointed as well about you predicament. But thats life so don't feel too down about it okay. What you have done is more than anyone of us can ever dream of so you make us proud whether you reach Beijing or otherwise.

Take care, our salam and prayers are with you.

Rizal

Bandit said...

Sir,

there's the saying "it's the journey, not the destination"..

Maybe they've closed the doors/borders.. but your alternative plans seems good! Tour d' Vietnam..

Bandit said...

Sir,

Just to confirm, will you be cycling back to KL??

As for disappointing people- I doubt if there is anyone who is disappointed.. there's only admiration from your 'supporters'..

If this is ACTUALLY the end of the China Trip, the allow me to be the first to congratulate you on a battle well fought!!

Anonymous said...

Pakcik Adnan:

Tey here,me also ,although submit on 19 May for the non official media pass and waiting they inform me for visa apply,,haha..cinya..although my company prepare all the thing..cinya kc now...!!!

Call the embassy already,ask me to wait...if they inform me,then can go apply visa..cinya !!!

Tey

Anonymous said...

Adnan:

However u hv a good experience already,think future I will follow u ,bike alone to oversea..haha

Tey

Anonymous said...

Pakcik Adnan:

Maybe u can ask mas family to help u book beijing hotel and flight return from beijing,then rush apply visa,see can work or not.

Tey

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, Went to the Malaysian Embassy this morning but the resuat is the same. they cannot help because no visas are issued at the border anymore unless you are Vietnamese or have a work permit here . visas are to be issued at country of origin. Other Malaysians have been refused before this, a group from Penang ,the Indian cyclist and and other similar cases. Anyway ,no big deal, if I go back, Ill try again from KL. Let's wait, some of my influential friend/s in KL may be able to help. Allis not lost, there will be other adventures to plan and look forward to, with better planning of course.
Tey, I thought you'd have no problems. Anyway, thqanjks Rizal, Puteri Kamaliah, Dr Lee, 'Bandit' It's been nice all along, so cheer up.
Adnan

oadnanxtreme said...

Hi Guys, Went to the Malaysian Embassy this morning but the resuat is the same. they cannot help because no visas are issued at the border anymore unless you are Vietnamese or have a work permit here . visas are to be issued at country of origin. Other Malaysians have been refused before this, a group from Penang ,the Indian cyclist and and other similar cases. Anyway ,no big deal, if I go back, Ill try again from KL. Let's wait, some of my influential friend/s in KL may be able to help. Allis not lost, there will be other adventures to plan and look forward to, with better planning of course.
Tey, I thought you'd have no problems. Anyway, thqanjks Rizal, Puteri Kamaliah, Dr Lee, 'Bandit' It's been nice all along, so cheer up.
Adnan

Anonymous said...

Adnan:

Hope u can settle and continue to Beijing..will be best both of us meet in Beijing..!!

Tey

Anonymous said...

Dear Adnan,
You tried!
Its ok then to turn round south through Vietnam.Sounds interesting too.
Carry on with the blogs.I am enjoying the 'ride' as well.
Dr Amir Lee

Anonymous said...

hi!
probably a little late here but if you go back to bangkok you should be able to obtain a chinese visa there. about one block from the embassy there is a travel agent who supplied me (canadian) with a visa for 3500 baht! same day. they made a phoney plane ticket i think. they stood outside the visa consular and led me there. anyways i got it just a few weeks ago. i also am biking... biketripasia.blogspot.com... but not going to the olympics!

so if u still want another shot at going to beijing you may still can.

also very impressed at your journey... and it seems you can tolerate highway 1 in vietnam... i really hated cycling that! the constant honking... i did not like that.