Sunday, July 13, 2008

Two Days in Hue then on to Hoi An

Hi, Today I went to visit some of the tourist spots in Hue. First I visited the Citadel, the old walled Palace of the ancient Vietnamese rulers. The complex is huge, walled all round and the wall is some 15 ft thick and 20 ft high. It is very impressive compared to the 'A Formosa ' in Malacca. Surrounding the wall is a moat filled with lotus (flower) plants.I didn't go to see the inside as I have to pay an entrance fee and it was too hot to see such a big complex at this time of year. Next, I visited a Pagoda which is also very impressive. Lastly I visited one of the tombs of Vietnam's ancient rulers. Hue has several of these tombs. This place would be a favourite for historians.
Hue is scenic with the river called 'Perfume River' adding to its charm. The riverside is a favourite with tourists and locals. You can stroll all along the riverside on the concrete walkway. In the evenings traders would spread their wares which include souvenirs, fruits etc.There are two bridges for vehicles and another for the train. At night the riverside is lighted and provides a beautiful scenery. There are a big number of Europeans, especially French tourists, around, the French being Vietnam's former colonial masters. There all kinds of transport available for hire here - cars, motorcycles, bicycles and trishaws. There are even some tandem bicycles for hire.
Hue has a tremendous tourist potential and there are lots of construction going on to cater especially to the tourists. There are two 5 star hotels and more are being built.
I am moving off to Hoi An tomorrow. I don't know what lies in store but I am assured by the hotel staff that I won't be disappointed. They are making the arrangements for me. Hoi An is about 150km from here.
Thank you Thoa from Hanoi who made all my travel arrangements and made my stay in Hanoi very pleasant. Do keep in touch. That's all for now guys, take care.
Adnan

3 comments:

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Salaam Pak Adnan

It's good to know you are taking your time, savouring the moment. Btw, I want you to know that you make a good travel writer. You description of places and events are evocative enough to rouse interest. We can talk, when you get home, if you afre willing to explore this..

Till then, the Abu family wish you well. Salaam.

malaysia-volunteer said...

Hi Nan,
How are u? Is great to know yr mission - "Mission Imposible". Don't give out. We wait and see you in the Olimpic Game.

Take care. Bye.

SayaBapa
(Your Old Friend)

Joe said...

Yo Adnan!

Don't stop writing! Keep us updated on your latest activities.

Joe Fernandez (Angkatan 42)