Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In Hoi An and moving on to Nha Trang‏

I left Hue for Hoi An around 2.30 pm yesterday and arrived at Hoi An around 6.30 pm. This is a small town but is supposed to be the oldest with a very ancient history. It goes back to a time BC. and has strong links with China, India, Japan , Thailand and some others.
The journey from Hue to Hoi An is about 150 km and I am glad I took the bus as there were stretches of very high hills, before Danang which has a harbour. Before Danang there is a road tunnel that is more than 16 km long, and the scenery throughout the journey is very scenic with a view of the sea.
The weather has been very hot and the temperature is around 37C. Apparently the school is on vacation for the summer for 3 months. there is still 1 month before the school reopens.
Today at breakfast I bumped into the Canadian girl who also stayed at the same hotel as I did in Hue and we went sightseeing together in the old city together with a guy from the hotel in Hue. There are several sights and you have a choice of five locations for a fee. Basically they are old houses of the early Chinese traders, ceramic museum, the earliest Chinese temples and such. It is more for students of history. There is also a beach nearby which I may go before leaving Hoi An for Nha Trang. I also met a couple whom I met in Hanoi at the ancient city, looks like most people use a similar itinerary while in Vietnam.
From Hoi An I move to Nha Trang some 500 km away and I'll be traveling by bus with a 'sleeper', for a journey that takes about 12 hours. Nha Trang is a seaside town famous for its beaches. The Miss Universe is just over I think. It was showing on TV over several days.
Vietnamese beaches will soon rival our beaches and those of Thailand, being more liberal than us they will surely attract some of beach buffs away from Thailand and other Asean countries.
That's all for now. Till next time, regards and take care.
Adnan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adnan,

I remember the Hoi An native women wearing their big conical straw hats. It was quite a sight seeing a group of them from a distance.
Dr Amir Lee

chan sept said...

Hi Adnan,
We have back to KL.

We have not been to those places like Hoi An, Hue and Nha Trang, so pls upload some photo. May visit these places someday.

Hope you all the best.
Rgds, Chan and Shirley